Sunday, June 24, 2007

Zend Framework 1.0 - Now there is no other way



I was thrilled and happy when I first found Zend Framework, and now I am thrilled that it has been released in version 1.0 RC2.

I've been developing for the greater part of my life and tested a great variety of programming languages and platforms. For some reason I got hooked on PHP a couple of years ago, and I guess it was because of the ease and development speed that I really couldn't let PHP go.

After being involved in a project that grew much bigger than anyone initially anticipated, I realized that the language itself doesn't provide much help or ease in creating well structured work. At the same time I've read over and over about the great benchmarks of the PHP/Mysql/BSD combination compared to the Microsoft .Net alternative. Lot's of sites out there are using PHP/MySQL as their development platform serving millions of visitors, and PHP gave me a greater degree of freedom compared to the .Net alternative.

Recently it was time for me to start another project, but this time I realized that I had to put a greater effort in creating a much better structure from the start. I went through lots and lots of big OS PHP-projects to find the holy grale of wellstructured code, and suddenly I found the Zend Framework!


Zend Framework is a framework for creating php-projects rapidly and in a nicely, robust, modular structured way. The main contributors to the projects is Zend (obviously) and IBM, so the stability of the framework compared to alternatives are great.
It's built for using the MVC pattern architecture (Model/View/Controller) and has a wide range of modules ready to be used.

Now that Zend Framework v1.0 RC2 is released I'm happy to say that after some development I'm glad to say that I'm almost overexited about the results! Great web applications are built very fast, without giving up the flexibility of PHP or a well structured code.

If you're a php developer and haven't checked it out yet, I strongly encourage you to do so; it will make your life easier.

No comments: